If you want to run a business in Nairobi City, a legit business for that matter you need to get a business permit from the county council offices.
Below are the guidelines on how to apply for the single business permit;
The following are the requirements before visiting the ward office;
- Business physical address, P. O Box postal address of the business; local zone and business plot number.
- Activity code of your business. You can get this from the county council offices, they have the codes for each business depending on the nature of the business.
- Total area of your business premises in square meters.
- Business operator personal Identification number and postal address, name and signature.
- Visit the ward office to obtain a BR – 1 form. The form will ask for your details highlighted above. Fill in the form leave it with the ward licensing officer.
- The licensing officers will pay a visit to your business premises to verify the information recorded on the BR – 1 Form.
- The information verified by the licensing officer will determine the fee charges for your business.
- The officer will stamp the BR – 1 Form and refer you to the main offices in City Hall.
- You will be assigned a unique business registration number prior to making payment.
- An invoice bill is generated and payment is done via cash office or online via Jambo pay
- On making payment from Jambo pay, your Single Business Permit is generated.
Charges and Cost
- The licenses application fee is Ksh 200
- Supermarkets with over 100 employees and over 5001 square meters – Kshs 120,000 (Code 103)
- Mega supermarkets/wholesalers from 51 – 100 employees/ 3001 – 5000 square meters – Ksh 80,000 (Code 104)
- Large trader shop or retail service from 21 – 50 employees/ 301 – 1000 square meter/ prime location – Ksh 30,000 (Code 105)
- Medium trader shop or retail service from 5 – 20 employees/ 50 – 100 square meter/ far location – Ksh 15,000 (Code 110)
- Small trader shop or retail service up to 4 employees/ less than 50 square meter/ prime location – Ksh 5,000 (Code 115)
- Light or temporary construction less than 50 square meters -Ksh 1000 (Code 120)
- Other general merchant shop and retail service – Ksh 1000 (code No. 105)