The process of phasing out the Kenya’s old passports kicked off in 2017 and is set to conclude on 1st of September 2019. The conclusion will render the old passport obsolete.
The application and or replacement of the old passport with the E-passport is initiated online.Making payment of the services is also done online.
The Application Process:
Keenly follow the steps below to apply for the e-passport;
- Ensure you are registered on eCitizen
- Visit eCitizen portal on: https://immigration.ecitizen.go.ke/index.php?id=4
- Once logged in, go to the link: Department of Immigration Services – ePassport
- Provide additional information (online)
- Make payment
- Submit form (online)
- Download and print the application form and three copies of the application invoice (receipt)
- Submit the application form in person to the Immigration offices or any of the recently opened centers (see list below)
This process of acquiring a passport will take at least 5* business days upon submission of your form and documents physically at the immigration offices in Nairobi – Nyayo House.Other centers are : Mombasa , Kisumu,Kisii, Embu, Eldoret and Nakuru.
Make sure you provide all the details by filling correctly. Otherwise the process will take too long.
You will have to register if you don’t have an account with the immigration service department, if you have already created the account, login with your credentials.
Modes of payment :
- Credit and Debit Cards
- Mobile money; M-PESA, AIRTEL MONEY
- Online banking from the local banks
Documents to be submitted :
- Original National ID Card & copy.
- Recommender’s ID card copy.
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Three Current passport size photos.
- Consent letter for minors.
- Parents National ID cards and copy.
- Old passport for replacement (Valid for those seeking to replace their old passports.)
Passport Fee and means of payment
|Passport Type||Fees (Kshs)|
|East African Passport||990|
|32 Pages Ordinary “A” Series||4,550|
|48 pages Ordinary “B” Series||6,050|
|64 Pages Ordinary “C” Series||7,550|
|Diplomatic passport (48 page)||7,550|
Its important to note that for Kenyans living abroad, the government has set up several e-passport centres in six countries .The are located at the Kenyan embassies in Pretoria, London, Paris, Dubai, Washington and Beijing.
The Kenyan Government also confirmed that the application for new e-passports will continue even after the the deadline.The deadline affects Kenyans wishing to travel with the old passport which will become obsolete starting September 1, 2019.
A valid visa on the current/old generation passport will still be valid even after one acquires the new ePassport.